Another fantastic recipe from our friend and Made In Japan tableware customer Milli Taylor.
- 100g Raw king prawns
- 50g Sweetcorn
- Handful of watercress
- Neutral oil for frying, enough to fill 2 inches of a deep frying pan
- 100ml Beer (must be really cold)
- 1 Egg yolk (cold)
- 50g Plain flour
- 50g Corn flour
- Pinch of salt
- Heat the oil on a medium heat until it reaches 170c (too low and it will become soggy and too high it will burn)
- Slice each prawns into 4 equal sized pieces and mix with corn and snipped watercress season with a little salt and white pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and beer and sift in the flours and a pinch of salt. Using a figure of 8 motion with chopsticks, briefly mix until half the flour is incorporated and then add the prawn mix and briefly mix again. You don’t want to over mix the batter, little lumps of flour are fine.
- Swiftly pour 2tbsp of fritter mix into the oil, in two batches. Fry for a couple of minutes before turning the fritters over for another minute or so. Lift out the oil and drain on a wire rack.
(Cook beansprouts for a couple of minutes and squeeze out water, mix with a dash of sesame oil and soy sauce)